Monday, December 6, 2010

Letter of Advice to the Red Head


Dear Red,

You are growing up so fast. Pretty soon you will be having your own adventures. You will fall in love. You will find out the meaning of true friendship. And you will see how evil people can really be. I have so much to tell you. I want to share with you all that I have learned in life. So, I decided to offer up some of my own lessons that I have learned over time.

Here they are in no specific order:

Always date a man with laugh lines. If he does not have these tell-tale signs, then you know he never laughs. And a man that is incapable of laughter is unable to make you laugh.

You don't need a lot of friends. You only need two. A guy and a girl. Choose these two wisely. They will be your soul mates when you have no one else.

Never dye your hair. God gave you that gorgouse red hair for a reason. It makes you stand out.

Always tell the truth. No matter what. The truth is easier to remember.

Do not hold grudges. A grudge takes so much energy to sustain. Rather, forgive and move on. Try to remember that you will make many mistakes in your life. You will, more-than-likely, have to ask forgiveness for these mistakes. Never ask for what you are unwilling to give.

Speaking of mistakes.... Know this: You are my child. When God decided to give you to me, He knew that you were going to be born hot tempered and strong willed. Your temper will subside over time. But, your will (hopefully) will remain strong.

You are going to face many challenges in life. Embrace these moments of adversity. They are what make you strong.

Always laugh.

You need to always use Aveeno Sunscreen. It's the safest for your skin.

Remember to never leave the house with fuzzy legs. I did this once and ended up in the ED. I don't know if the two are related; but just don't risk it.

You will have your heart broken in some form or another over your life. I can't say how many times it will occur. But, I can tell you with almost certainty, that a broken heart can love better and deeper than a heart that has never been broken. Therefore, you should never be afraid of the pain of losing someone. It is this pain that will enable you to love with a passion so great, it may just take your breath away.

Don't panic.

It's ok if you don't know what you're doing. No one does. Those that say they do are lying. Trust me on this one.

Don't believe someone who says they won't hurt you. As human beings, we are going to hurt one another. We all suffer at the hands of the ones who love us best. You just have decide if the person is worth the suffering.

Never trust a big butt and a smile. I don't know why this is. But, it was advice given out on the radio years ago. It sounded good then and it sounds good now.

There will be days when it seems like the sun rose specifically to humiliate you. Know this: It's true.

You can judge a man by the first kiss. Nice and firm is good. Weak and sloppy is not.

Over time I will offer more words of wisdom. I love you my Red Headed Angel. You are proof that miracles exist. You are proof that God loves me without bounds.

But, most of all, you are proof that God knew that I would end up a pretty decent person. If not, I don't think He would have trusted me with such a wonderful treasure such as yourself.

Love,
Your Momma

P.S. Take that big butt thing seriously, now. Ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment